December 2019 - Football Wiretap

Shaq Thompson, Panthers Agree To Four-Year, $54.2M Extension

Dec 7, 2019 3:52 PM

The Carolina Panthers and Shaq Thompson have agreed to a four-year, $54.2 million contract extension. The deal has $28 million in guaranteed money.

"It means everything," Thompson told Panthers.com. "What this organization has done for me and my family, it's just tremendous. Now it's time to go to Atlanta and go get this game.

"This organization really waited to see what I could become," he added. "They understood when I was a rookie that I could come in and learn behind TD [Thomas Davis] and Luke [Kuechly] and A.J. [Klein]. That allowed me to learn the game and develop a lot more. From college to the NFL -- those first two years for me everything was happening really fast. Now the game has slowed down for me. They allowed me to learn and develop. It's a blessing."

Adam Schefter/ESPN

Tags: Carolina Panthers, Misc Rumor, Signing

Discuss
Antonio Brown Posts Lengthy Apology On Instagram

Dec 6, 2019 3:13 PM

Antonio Brown posted a broad apology on Instagram, sparking speculation that an announcement about his status could be forthcoming from the NFL.

Brown met with NFL investigator 22 days ago about sexual assault allegations.

“First and foremost, I’d like to apologize to my family, friends and anyone who I offended,” Brown wrote. “I never once meant to make anyone feel like I wasn’t thankful and appreciative of the opportunity that I was afforded to play the game I love. I’ve worked hard over the years to earn a chance to compete in the greatest game on earth. Over the years I was met with challenges and I can honestly say I didn’t handle those challenges in the manner that I should have. Over the past few weeks I’ve had the opportunity to think about everything that’s transpired and I am deeply sorry to all who I’ve offended. While my behavior was inexcusable, sometimes when people are coming at you with false information and allegations, we handle ourselves in ways that we sometimes regret. I do take full responsibility for my actions and I’m working everyday to repair what I broke. I do know that if I’m ever given the opportunity to play the game that I love, I’m going to work extremely hard to show the world how much I appreciate another chance. To the organizations that I offended, I offer my sincere apology to you and my hope is that you forgive me and help me move on from this minor setback. I look forward to competing and helping a team reach their goals.”

Mike Florio/ProFootballTalk

Tags: New England Patriots, Free Agent Rumor, Misc Rumor, Suspension

Discuss
Seahawks Considered Slight Favorites To Win NFC West Over 49ers

Dec 6, 2019 3:09 PM

The Seattle Seahawks are slight favorites to win the NFC West ahead of the San Francisco 49ers going into Week 14, according to SportsBetting.ag.

The winner of the NFC West is likely to end up with either the No. 1 or No. 2 seed in the playoffs.

Seattle has an easier schedule to finish the season and also host the 49ers in Week 17.

NFC West
Seattle Seahawks -140
San Francisco 49ers +120
Los Angeles Rams +5000

RealGM Staff Report

Tags: San Francisco 49ers, Seattle Seahawks

Discuss
Carson Wentz Frustrated By Offensive Struggles

Dec 6, 2019 8:58 AM

Carson Wentz feels the offense took a step "in the right direction" in last week's loss to the Miami Dolphins, but he's still frustrated by how the Philadelphia Eagles have played.

The Eagles posted 31 points against the Dolphins after managing 19 total points in consecutive losses to the New England Patriots and Seattle Seahawks.

"It seems almost every week it's something different," Wentz said. "We're either shooting ourselves in the foot, I'm turning the ball over, missing throws, you know, that is the situation. It's the consistency. The lack of it is frustrating."

Philadelphia Inquirer

Tags: Philadelphia Eagles, Misc Rumor

Discuss
Cowboys Won't Make Coaching Change This Week

Dec 6, 2019 8:54 AM

The Dallas Cowboys dropped their third straight game on Thursday night against the Chicago Bears, but Jerry Jones isn't ready for a coaching change.

"We'll line them up here next week," Jones said. "We're going to go practice, and we're going to try to win a football game. Everybody that's in here that's healthy will be playing, and everybody who is in here coaching will be coaching. We've just got to play better."

Dallas has lost seven of 10 since opening the season with a 3-0 record. They remain atop a struggling NFC East despite a 6-7 mark.

Charean Williams/Pro Football Talk

Tags: Dallas Cowboys, Misc Rumor

Discuss
Tom Brady Downplays Elbow, Toe Injuries

Dec 6, 2019 8:50 AM

Tom Brady was limited in practice Thursday with what the New England Patriots listed as toe and right elbow injuries.

"That might be the first time my toe's ever been on the injury report. You know us Patriots. We're pretty diligent about listing everything, so I guess we have to make mention of my toe now as well," Brady said with a laugh.

The quarterback then joked about his elbow.

"Isn't there some HIPAA violation or something like that, when I start talking about all my injuries? I'm doing pretty good," he said. "At this time of the year, I'll take it. I'll take anything if I'm still able to go out there and feel like I can play my best. I'm feeling really good, really positive about this week. We have a really great challenge ahead of us."

Mike Reiss/ESPN

Tags: New England Patriots, Injury

Discuss
Odell Beckham Jr. Vague About His Future With Browns

Dec 5, 2019 4:07 PM

Odell Beckham Jr. was vague when asked about his future with the Cleveland Browns.

“What the does the future hold? I don’t know,” Beckham said, via Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. “No one knows what the future holds tomorrow. I couldn’t tell you. My locker is right next to one of the people that mean the most to me in the world [Jarvis Landry]. I think about coming to work and seeing him every single day and how special this could be, so I couldn’t sit here and tell you whether I’m going to be here, want to be here, don’t want to be here. This is exactly where I’m at right now, and I wouldn’t rather be anywhere else.”

Beckham has only 57 catches for 805 yards and two touchdowns this season for a disappointing Cleveland team.

Mark Kay Cabot/Cleveland Plain Dealer (via PFT)

Tags: Cleveland Browns, Free Agent Rumor, Misc Rumor, Trade Rumor

Discuss
Sean McVay On Using Todd Gurley More: 'Me Not Being An Idiot'

Dec 5, 2019 9:26 AM

The Los Angeles Rams have been using Todd Gurley more lately and Sean McVay says the change in offensive philosophy is simple.

"Me not being an idiot," McVay said.

The Rams are 7-5 as McVay has been hesitant to commit to the run until recently.

Gurley has rushed 44 times over L.A.'s last two games, totaling 192 yards and a touchdown. He had at least 100 scrimmage yards in two of his past three games.

"He's done a nice job handling a bigger workload," McVay said.

Lindsey Thiry/ESPN

Tags: Los Angeles Rams, Misc Rumor

Discuss
Aaron Rodgers Sees Career 'Making The Turn' Toward 18th Hole

Dec 5, 2019 9:19 AM

Aaron Rodgers turns 36 this week and is nearing the end of his 15th season in the NFL.

"Yeah, that and seeing the 18th hole coming up, realizing I can't play forever and the opportunities don't come along all the time," Rodgers said.

The Green Bay Packers have missed the playoffs in each of the last two seasons, but they will be playing meaningful games in December and likely January.

Rodgers has repeatedly said that he plans to play into his 40s, but in continuing his golf-as-a-metaphor-for-his career analogy, all he would say he is he's "making the turn, I think."

Rob Demovsky/ESPN

Tags: Green Bay Packers, Misc Rumor

Discuss
Josh Jacobs Playing Through Shoulder Fracture

Dec 5, 2019 9:15 AM

Josh Jacobs has revealed on social media that he has been playing with a fractured shoulder since Week 7.

"I just play on it," Jacobs wrote on Snapchat.

The Oakland Raiders running back ranks fourth in the NFL with 1,061 rushing yards this season.

"Josh is special," Derek Carr said. "If Josh wasn't able to play, I would completely understand, with what he's dealing with. But the fact that he keeps suiting up and going out there and not only running, but running with the style that he runs with, I don't think enough can be said about that guy."

Jacobs initially injured his shoulder doling out a hit against the Green Bay Packers at Lambeau Field on Oct. 20 and left the game before returning.

Paul Gutierrez/ESPN

Dalvin Cook Avoids Major Injury To Shoulder

Courtney Cronin/ESPN

Rob Gronkowski Lets Deadline Pass To Come Out Of Retirement

Ken Belson/New York Times

Jaguars To Start Gardner Minshew For Remainder Of Season

Michael DiRocco/ESPN

49ers Hope To Meet Ravens Again 'Some Other Time'

ESPN