The Indianapolis Colts admitted they knew Bobby Okereke had been accused of sexual assault in 2015 before he was selected in the April draft.
"When we looked at it and talked about it and talking to the young man, an incident from four years ago, no discipline by the university [and] he was never charged with a crime," Ballard said Wednesday. "And then you look at his track record from that point to now. Team captain. Lott Trophy quarterfinalist. He graduated with a degree in management and engineering. He's working on his master's. From 2015 to 2019, from everything we gathered and high recommendations that we got, it felt appropriate to take him."
Okereke was forthcoming about what occurred in 2015 when he met with the Colts at the Senior Bowl in January.
Ballard said the Colts did not talk to the accuser or her lawyer due to the fact that there were no charges or discipline handed down by Stanford officials.