May 2020 - Football Wiretap

Seahawks Sign Carlos Hyde To One-Year Deal

May 28, 2020 9:43 PM

The Seattle Seahawks have signed Carlos Hyde to a one-year deal.

Hyde rushed for 1,070 yards and six touchdowns on 245 carries for the Houston Texans last season.

Hyde was a second round pick by the San Francisco 49ers in 2014.

Rashaad Penny suffered a torn ACL last season, while Chris Carson is coming off a hip injury.

Seahawks.com

Tags: Seattle Seahawks, Free Agent Rumor, Misc Rumor, Signing

Discuss
NFL Extends Madden Deal With EA Through 2026

May 28, 2020 8:24 PM

NFL owners on Thursday approved an extension of their Madden video game deal with Electronic Arts, continuing a relationship that has existed for 30 years.

The current contract was set to expire after the 2021 season.

The extension means that EA Sports will continue to be the league's exclusive publisher of football simulation games through 2026.

According to Electronic Arts, more than 330 million hours of the game have been played since it was released last August.

ESPN

Discuss
Patrick Mahomes Opens Talks With Deal Expected To Be Tied To Cap

May 28, 2020 12:56 PM

The Kansas City Chiefs have opened extension talks with Patrick Mahomes.

The deal is expected to be the first in NFL history with compensation tied to the salary cap.

Other players have tried to negotiate a deal tied to the cap but have been unsuccessful. By tying salary to the cap, Mahomes would ensure he remains amongst the NFL's most well compensated players.

Mahomes' rookie contract won't expire until after the 2021 season.

Sam Mellinger/Kansas City Star

Tags: Kansas City Chiefs, Free Agent Rumor, Misc Rumor

Discuss
J.J. Watt Isn't Seeking Contract Extension

May 28, 2020 9:47 AM

J.J. Watt isn't seeking a contract extension with the Houston Texans.

Watt has two years and no guaranteed money left on his deal.

"No, I don't think that's necessary," he said. "I'm not going to sit here and demand anything. If I asked for an extension or money right now, I think that would be the wrong move."

Watt is under contract for $15.5 million in 2020 and $17.5 million in 2021.

Kevin Patra/NFL

Tags: Houston Texans, Free Agent Rumor, Misc Rumor

Discuss
Allegiant Stadium Site Has 15 'Active Cases' Of Coronavirus

May 28, 2020 9:44 AM

Nevada public health officials have increased testing at the construction site of Allegiant Stadium, which has led to more cases of COVID-19.

There were 15 active cases of coronavirus among workers who have been there, according to the company in charge of the project.

On May 1, there were 16 positive cases reported at the site, though the reporting makes it unclear whether there’s crossover between those sets of numbers.

Despite delays, the Raiders remain confident the stadium will be ready to open by the end of July.

Mick Akers/Las Vegas Review-Journal

Tags: Misc Rumor

Discuss
Ravens' Ronnie Stanley Wants To Be Paid Like Top Left Tackle

May 28, 2020 9:38 AM

Ronnie Stanley wants to be paid like one of the NFL's top left tackles.

The Baltimore Ravens lineman was rated as the best at his position last season.

"I definitely want to get paid my value and what I feel I'm worth," Stanley said. "That part of it is important. But, at the end of the day, I don't think money is the most important thing to me."

Stanley, 26, is entering the final year of his rookie deal.

Laremy Tunsil is the highest-paid left tackle after having signed a three-year, $66 million extension with the Houston Texans.

Jamison Hensley/ESPN

Tags: Baltimore Ravens, Free Agent Rumor, Misc Rumor

Discuss
Quincy Enunwa Hasn't Given Up On Playing Again

May 28, 2020 9:34 AM

Quincy Enunwa, battling a career-threatening neck injury that will keep him off the field in 2020, still hopes to play football again.

The New York Jets wide receiver said it was "devastating" to learn recently he had been ruled out for the season.

"If I'm capable of playing, then that's what I'll do," Enunwa said. "If it comes down to the fact that the doctors say I can't, there's not much I can do. There's really nothing I can do there, but if I have the ability to [play], the passion will always be there, the want-to will always be there.

"I think, aside from obviously my neck, the physical ability will always be there. It's really just about me going for the ride, I guess, because I'm not in control of that part anymore."

Rich Cimini/ESPN

Tags: New York Jets, Misc Rumor

Discuss
Jadeveon Clowney Rejects Aggressive Offer From Browns

May 27, 2020 5:15 PM

Jadeveon Clowney rejected an aggressive offer from the Cleveland Browns.

The exact dollar amount of the offer is unknown, but it is believed to be easily Clowney's most lucrative.

Clowney is recovering from a core muscle surgery and appears willing to wait as long as possible to sign with the hope of an improved offer.

Adam Schefter/ESPN

Tags: Cleveland Browns, Free Agent Rumor, Misc Rumor

Discuss
Aaron Jones, Packers Discussing Extension

May 27, 2020 4:39 PM

Aaron Jones would like to finish his career with the Green Bay Packers, but he doesn't know if that will be feasible.

Jones is entering the final season of his rookie deal.

"Whether it's my first year or my last year on a deal, I'm going to be just as motivated," Jones said Wednesday on a Zoom call with the Packers media contingent. "It doesn't change just because a contract is on the line for me. I mean, I'm going to continue to work and do everything in my power. I trust my agency and the Packers. With that, I would love to be a lifelong Packer. That's my take on that."

Jones and the Packers were open to discussing an extension at the combine in February. Jones' agent confirmed this week that talks have taken place.

"There have been conversations and there will continue to be," Chris Cabott said.

Rob Demovsky/ESPN

Tags: Green Bay Packers, Free Agent Rumor, Misc Rumor

Discuss
Kenyan Drake Preparing For Workhouse Role In 2020

May 27, 2020 9:24 AM

After breaking out over the second half of last season, Kenyan Drake is ready for a breakout year with the Arizona Cardinals.

"I feel like my ceiling is as high as I'll take it," Drake said. "I can't do anything but put the work in right now and take that into whenever the season starts.

"I have personal goals for myself. ... I'm not looking for anything specific, I just want to help this team win as much as possible."

In eight games with the Cardinals, Drake compiled 643 rushing yards, averaged 5.2 yards per carry and scored eight touchdowns.

Arizona appeared to clear the way for Drake to be their workhorse by trading David Johnson to the Houston Texans in a deal for DeAndre Hopkins.

Kevin Patra/NFL